No one wants to have to deal with any kind of appliance repairs. They can be pricy. In 2014, consumers would spend between $254 to $275 to make refrigerator repairs or dishwasher repairs. It has been estimated that about 28% of refrigerators that have a bottom or top ice makers will break down within three to four years. That number climbs to 36% for side by side refrigerators. The good news is that there are steps you can take to keep your refrigerator in tip top shape.
- Make it a point to clean your condenser coils. Problems with the condenser coils cause a lot of the need for refrigerator repairs. You will find the coils at the back or the bottom of your refrigerator. Experts say they routinely attract dirt, dust and pet hair. This can clog up the coils and prevent the appliance from working properly. You can even cut some from your energy bill by keeping the coils clean and free of debris. This is one of the best things you can do to keep your refrigerator running as intended. Experts in refrigerator repairs say that when the condenser coils get dirty, it makes it harder for the appliance to move the heat out and away from your food. If you hire someone to clean it for about $100 but most homeowners do the task themselves. It is an easy task to complete.
- Keep the door closed. When you leave the refrigerator door open, you force the compressor to work harder than it should have to work to do what it needs to do. Sometimes, this can cause the compressor to overheat. In extreme cases, this can cause the unit to fail completely. When that happens, you need to have a new compressor installed. This can run anywhere between $800 and $1,400 to replace. This is one of the most costly of the refrigerator repairs out there. The solution to prevent needing these repairs can be as simple as making sure your refrigerator is totally closed every time you get something from the refrigerator.
- Clean the seals on the door. This is another way to overheat your compressor. You want to make sure your seals are in total contact with the refrigerator when you close the door. You can use warm water or a solution of vinegar and water. When the seals are dirty, they cannot effectively do their job. It makes good sense to check the seals from time to time.
- Make sure your refrigerator has enough ventilation. Maintaining proper air flow around your refrigerator is one way to avoid needing refrigerator repairs. This is also important to keep the unit running at its peak efficiency. Failing to provide your refrigerator with the right amount of air around it can greatly reduce its lifespan. When a refrigerator does not have enough air, that can cause the compressor to overheat and fail.
- Do not put too much stuff inside your refrigerator. Most of the time, refrigerators are pretty sturdy appliances but you can push them too far. Your refrigerator should last anywhere between 12 and 15 years but your daily use of the appliance can cause wear and tear and lead you to need to have refrigerator repairs done on your appliance. When you overload your refrigerator you can damage the hinges, seals or door. This is an easy one to avoid. It can be very expensive to replace your refrigerator door.
There are some repairs that cannot be prevented but there are a number that can. By taking proper care of your refrigerator, you can possibly avoid needing some expensive refrigerator repairs. The proper maintenance can keep it running for years into the future.